Well it started like most days, the kids off to school, clean the house, pick up kids from school, and it was time to run a few errands, this is where it all began............
We got home from school and I put Porter down for a nap, then I got Ciera and Noah settled with a snack and their homework. I had a quick bite to eat because I had missed lunch and I wanted to make sure Porter was asleep before I left Ciera to babysit. When all was quiet, Isaac and I left to run an errand. While I was out I got a call from Ciera, she was a little nervous because there was a man knocking on the door and he wouldn't stop. He was parked half way up our driveway and walking around the front yard just looking around. She also heard him talking on his cell phone saying things like " I know someone is home I saw a girl in the window". Ciera was getting pretty freaked out so we stayed on the phone while I drove the few blocks to get home, as I rounded the corner to our street she said "mom I think he just woke Porter up because he was ringing and ringing the door bell. As I pulled up to our house completely ready to cuss this guy out I noticed clothes dangling from our dead birch tree and there was Porter's window screen laying in the flower bed. I jumped out of the car and the man said "your little boy was out on the window ledge, I yelled at him to go back in and he did, but I wasn't sure he understood me because he looks Mexican and I wasn't sure he spoke English. I couldn't get anyone to answer the door, I didn't know what else to do so I called the police!" (and yes that would be the Beaumont Police Dept. the one Josh was sworn into the day before). I could hardly speak I could only mutter "thanks" as I ran past him into the house. I flew upstairs into Porter's room threw open the door and there he sat in the middle of his floor surrounded by the dresser drawers he had pulled out, totally safe and completely satisfied with his little stunt. I grabbed him then shut and locked the window, we proceed down stairs and I went outside to thank the man who had stopped to help. As we spoke the police unit pulled up and then another, now I was mortified my husbands new co-workers were responding to a call at our house and one was a Sergent to boot! Officer Peat came up and asked me what was going on after the man explained what he saw and why he called I explained, " my daughter was babysitting while I ran an errand, her little brother was taking a nap and must have woken up, but she never heard him. She called me when the man was knocking and wouldn't leave, and I came home". He then asked to see the boy so he could verify he was okay, I went in and got Porter he came out as happy as could be there was no mistaking he was completely unaffected by what had happened. Now there is no real way to clearly explain everything that happened next it seemed like so many things were happening all at once, I called Ciera out because they wanted to see who was babysitting, the Sergent was pissed that I let Ciera babysit(even though she totally proved she knows what to do), Noah gathered the clothes from the flower bed and out of the tree, Isaac got the window screen and took it in the house and Porter ran around the grass until Ciera took him in to watch a movie. During this time officer Peats proceed to run my drivers license, he walked up the driveway and asked "who is with San Bernardino Sheriff Dept, you or husband?" and that's when I had to tell them......."actually my husband was just sworn in with Beaumont yesterday". He then motions to the Sergent to stop and the Sergent gestures back "no", the officer walks over to the Sergent and says "22(which means cancel) her husband is Beaumont PD. " The officer returns to tell me that they aren't going to file child endangerment charges and not going to call CPS, he says "we'll handle this with in the PD family, I think your husband is back at the station in the conference room, we'll go have a talk with him." He then reaches out his hand to introduce himself, thankful were moving on but no where near feeling better I now reach out my hand and even more mortified I shake his hand. Once again I try to explain how this potentially dangerous, completely awful situation could have possibly happened..... "the windows are really low(knee heighth), we usually have a baby gate in the window but we just painted and took it down, and he is just very mischievous very big 2 year old who can unlock and open just about anything thanks to his older brothers." The Sergent who never spoke to me again and probably still hates me finally drove off and officer Peats walked to his car and said "I'm going to go talk with your husband, it was nice to meet you". I replied "I am so embarrassed, but it was nice to meet you too. You know what, this is all my husbands fault, he was a terribly mischievous kid and his boys are just like him." He laughed and drove away finally!!!! I pulled the car in the driveway and quickly tried to text Josh what had happened but my fingers were having a hard time working and I couldn't exactly figure out a quick text version of what to say, and then my phone rang, it was Josh I answered and he said with a chuckle, "so are they gone yet?".
At the station.........
Josh and the other 2 new guys were in the conference room going over some procedures. They had just finished talking about not making to many stops by your house when your on shift, it's okay to stop by for lunch or dinner but limit it to a half hour or so. Another officer came in and said "don't you live here in town Galbraith?" , Josh said yes, "well I think they just ran your wife, something about a child on a ledge". Josh immediately thought it was one of the boy climbing on the block wall in the back yard AGAIN so he didn't pay much attention. And then his co-workers started to joke "you don't have to worry about stopping by your house Galbraith, you can just respond to the calls!". Ha Ha funny right, glad someone is laughing! Officer Peats and the Sergent get back and they talk with Josh, everything is okay, no laws were broken and everyone is fine.......everyone except your wife, "you should probably go home and check on her",they advise.
Josh gets home and........
The kids have kicked it into high gear, they've done all their homework and are cleaning the house. (maybe the threat of CPS and almost getting hauled off by the police can have an upside).
I'm upstairs finally crying and crying and crying. Josh tried to make me feel better by telling me "you didn't do anything wrong, and even if CPS did come out it would have been fine. It's not that big of a deal, I did things that were ten times worse when I was a kid." I screamed "I know and this is all your fault!!!!" and continued to cry. That's pretty much how the rest of the night went just more crying and more crying, and a trip to build-a-bear for the kids who came to my rescue, cleaning up the evidence and the house to try and make me feel better.
10 comments:
I laughed, I cried, that was the best story I ever read! Thank you so much for sharing that!
oh.my.gosh. i am so sorry you married josh! ;) we have a few stories of our own...all thanks to my kid's father as well!
i just had the best laugh ever...thanks for making my day and making me feel a little more normal. I agree with V..that Josh is a trouble maker. Love ya Joddy (DD)
i don't have your current email so here is my blog: moorethanicanhandle.blogspot love ya Joddy
I have told this story to at least half a dozen people since last week, and it still makes me laugh. I love those kids.... and I'm glad they're yours!!
This is all Josh's fault. I agree.
Talk about a bad day - you win!
AHAHAHAHA! Thanks for a great laugh. Porter sure keeps you busy! I hope he doesn't give Bayer any ideas. What a crazy imagination that boy has!!
Even reading this again has given me a serious case of the giggles.
Ohhhhhh my!! I just found your blog Alicia......what an eventful day! I would have been crying too!
I hope you are getting to laugh about all this now!
Alicia, This is your old friend Jade. I found your blog from Spencer's and I hope you don't mind me peeking. This was a great story, and I find it a little funny that you ended up with quite a handful. Sounds like you handle it well. Loved the story. I keep a blog as well, portersinpacifica.blogspot.com.
Post a Comment